So – you’re an LJMU student, studying abroad at SCSU, and unlike practically every American friend you meet, you (whisper it, for shame) don’t have a car. LJMU English intern Jessica Rimmer is here to help.
One wonderful attribute of SCSU is the proximity of its beautiful campus to a town packed full of culture and entertainment, and with the FREE services offered to students of SCSU, getting around New Haven without a car has actually never been easier.
The U-Pass is a transportation pass for Southern students, that is valid for unlimited trips during the semester, on all CTTransit local buses. Therefore, the U-Pass gives you travel freedom with no out-of-pocket expense! As an enrolled student of SCSU you are eligible to receive a complimentary U-Pass, from the Hoot Loot card office located in the Wintergreen Building, 112.
To use your U-Pass you just show the driver your SCSU Hoot Loot ID Card when boarding the bus and insert the pass, with the arrow on the front pointing forward, into the pass reading machine on the farebox. The farebox will “beep” to indicate your pass has been accepted & you’re ready to ride!
Each U-Pass is valid for one semester. At the start of each semester, eligible students can get a new U-Pass for the current semester. Tip: be quick to pick up your U-Pass as new passes are issued on a first-come, first-serve basis; quantities are limited.
SCSU shuttle services
The SCSU shuttle service is a complimentary transportation service offered to the SCSU community through the University Police Department. The system operates on a fixed route schedule, providing safe, convenient, and reliable transportation throughout the campus and surrounding community. In order to ensure student safety, all of the SCSU Shuttle drivers have passed extensive background checks and additional driver training. To utilise the shuttle services provided by SCSU, simply show the driver your student ID card when boarding the bus.
On campus shuttle service
- Full campus route: This service runs to and from all residential and academic buildings as well as car parks. This route is a campus circulator, providing service to each stop every 20 minutes. Service hours: Monday-Thursday (7:30am to 11:00pm) Fridays (7:30am to 5:00pm).
- Wintergreen Avenue Garage Express route: This service runs to and from the Wintergreen Garage and Main Campus. This route is an express route providing service to each stop every 5 minutes. Service hours: Monday-Thursday (7:30am to 11:00pm) Fridays (7:30am to 1:00pm).
After 11:00pm on Monday-Thursday, you can use the Late Night Owl Service, which provides walking escorts to students and staff.
Off campus shuttle services
- Union Station route – This service runs to and from campus and Union Station in New Haven. This route is an express route providing service to each stop every 30 minutes. Regular semester service hours: Monday-Thursday (7:15am to 9:00pm) Fridays (7:15 am to 5:00pm).
Weekend only service:
- Hamden Plaza / Union Station route – This service runs to and from campus, Union Station, and the Hamden Plaza with departures from campus on the hour. Service hours: Saturday and Sunday (1:00pm to 9:00pm).
- Milford Mall route – This service runs to and from campus and the Milford mall with departures from campus on the hour. Service hours: Saturday and Sunday (1:00pm to 9:00pm).
CTTransit bus services
CTTransit operates every day; morning, noon and night, rain or shine to get you where you need to go. Local bus routes make frequent stops, typically every 2 to 3 blocks, linking areas with urban centers and providing connections within and between communities. So, ride the bus to class, to the malls or out to the town. CTTransit bridges the gap between SCSU and the rest of New Haven with ease.
There is a bus stop right outside of the SCSU campus. Tickets from campus into Downtown New Haven cost $1.50 and you are able to reuse your ticket for up to two hours without having to repeat your purchase. Tip: Make sure you provide the exact fare when purchasing your ticket, as the bus driver does not provide change.
For bus schedules and other info visit: https://www.cttransit.com/
Uber taxi services
Another popular mode of transport amongst students is Uber taxi services. Uber is an on-demand car service that allows you to request private drivers through applications for iPhone and Android devices. The service utilizes dispatch software to send the nearest driver to your location. Therefore, Uber is particularly convenient for international students who perhaps don’t have a US mobile phone, as you can order a taxi without incurring phone charges, as the service relies on Wi-fi to operate.
To use the service, simply download the Uber app on your Smartphone or tablet and request a car. You can also request a car on the Uber website. Then, you will be asked to provide your bank account details as the fare will be taken directly from your account, which is great if you need to get to a destination but don’t have access to cash!